Chilao Visitor Center
The Chilao Visitor Center offers an introduction to the Angeles National Forest through a variety of exhibits, trails and activities.
Nature trails leading from the building plus over 20 indoor exhibits introduce visitors to themes of national forest management, history of the San Gabriel Mountains, forest wildlife and recreational opportunities.
In addition, this Center is listed in the Watchable Wildlife Guide as an International bird watching site.
2019 Special Events
Chilao Visitor Center hosts several special event days that include Smokey Bear appearances, guided nature walks and special talks about the geologic history of the San Gabriel mountains, and more. These are fun and educational days for the whole family!
Join us between 10am and 4pm on these dates:
- Saturday, March 30 – Seasonal Opening
- Sunday, May 26 – Memorial Day Weekend
- Saturday, June 8 – National Get Outdoors Day
- Saturday, July 6 – Independence Day Weekend
- Saturday, August 10 – Smokey’s Birthday and ANFFLA Day
- Sunday, September 1 – Labor Day Weekend
For a full list of activities, including nature hikes and full moon events please download the 2019 Chilao Visitor Center Program List.
Map & Directions
- Take Angeles Crest Highway (State Highway 2) north from the 210 Freeway in La Canada.
- The Chilao Visitor Center is located on Angeles Crest Highway, about 27 miles north of the 210.
- Open in Google Maps for more detailed driving directions.